Almond Garlic Green Beans
Today I did my first set of 10 unbroken pull ups! To some of you, you could do that in your sleep. For me, this is a little milestone. When I started at CrossFit Armoury in May, I couldn’t string together 2. Learning to kip, I looked like some sort of flailing frog. This is what I love about CrossFit, there is always something to get better at….ALWAYS…
Recipe time! Since that is what you really came here for, not my ramblings about CrossFit… I liked this recipe but Glenn REALLY liked this recipe. I need to eat more veggies and can’t stand eating salads in the winter. Am I the only one? I want to eat warm stuff in the winter. Glenn will just eat handfuls of spinach, dry, from the package…why can guys follow clean eating so much better….Whoops, sidetracked again. I liked this recipe but not a huge fan of the lemon juice, that’s why I made it optional.
1.5 lb french green beans (they’re just thin green beans)
2 T. butter (If you don’t use butter, increase the oil or substitute with other oil)
2 T. olive oil
1/2 c. slivered almonds
1 medium clove garlic (minced or crushed)
juice from 1/2 lemon (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add the green beans and cook to bright green and crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain and run cold water over to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- In large skillet, heat the butter and oil over medium-low heat until the butter is melts and the foam reduces. Add the almonds, stirring occassionaly and cook until browned. Remove the almonds with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the garlic. I burned my finger here when the garlic went in the pan. Wait for the heat to reduce a bit before adding the garlic….cook stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the beans and increase the temperature to medium. Stir to coat, cook for about 5-8 minutes until slightly browned but still crisp.
- Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Transfer to serving platter, sprinkle with almonds and serve. Enjoy!