Paleo Breakfast “Sandwich”
I put quotes around the word sandwich because I use that word somewhat loosely. You can certainly eat this sandwich, if you can unhinge your jaw. I can’t. Instead I prefer to eat this as an open faced sandwich.
Feel free to change the insides as you see fit. Poaching my eggs seemed like the easiest thing. They fit nicely into my biscuits. Bacon and sausage may be too much…not to me though….
1/2 c. coconut flour
3/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 cup bacon fat/melted ghee (or mix)
3 eggs at room temperature
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1/2 c. pumpkin purée
1/4 c. chives or green onions, thinly sliced
1 lb. ground pork
1/2 T. ground fennel
1/2 T. ground sage
1/2 T. garlic powder
1/2 T. onion powder
dash white pepper
Eggs, bacon, or anything else you want to put inside
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment
- Combine coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Add the melted bacon fat/ghee and beat until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, apple cider vinegar and pumpkin until smooth
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Mix until the batter becomes thick and well combined. Mix in the chives. It’s important that you cut the chives thinly so when you cut your biscuits in half, they don’t fall apart.
- Drop onto the baking sheet. They won’t rise or change shape so however you want them to come out, shape them like that. Using a large scoop, this will make about 12 biscuits.
- Bake for about 12 min or until slightly golden. Times will vary based on the thickness of the biscuit.
- To make the sausage, combine all the pork with all spices. Mix well with your hands.
- Form the mixture into thin, small patties that will fit in your biscuits. Cook over medium-low heat until no longer pink in the middle.
- Prepare your eggs however you would like.
- Once your biscuits have cooled for about 5 min, cut in half. Be careful here, they can be crumbly. Add your insides and enjoy.