2018 Holiday Gift Guide
Tis the season for bringing holiday cheer! Maybe you are looking for something for that special person in your life who is on a self love journey. Or maybe you are that person and at a loss when someone asks you what you want. No probs! I got you covered. Oh, all my links will be to Canadian sites because it drives me insane when I go to look at something an awesome blogger has sent me only to find out that I can’t get it in Canada.
Let’s start with kitchen stuff.
The Basics. If you haven’t already invested in a set of good knives, along with pots and pans. Do it. It can make such a difference in your frustration level. I am not going to claim to be an expert in which brand you should buy. I will just tell you what I have. Recently we have been switching our pots and pans over to brands that don’t have any of the junk in them. The pots and pans that I currently have are Greenlife ceramic coated. I like them but I was eyeing up these Williams-Sonoma ones. As far as knives go, I have a Pampered Chef set that I like and I also have a few Cutco Chef’s knives.
The Instant Pot. The Holy Grail of meal prep. This thing will help simplify and expedite your meal prep. You can cook a roast in under an hour, and because of the pressure cooking it will be moist and flavourful. Here’s a secret…I actually have 2. Also, don’t cheap out and buy the off brand.
The Air Fryer. I wrote a whole article on my experience with the Air Fryer. If you are looking for a way to make your macros go further but still have things like fries and crispy chicken, then this may be something for you.
The Fit Foodie I Can Eat That Recipe Book. Ready to start making eating healthy meals fun again? Download your copy of I Can Eat That?! to receive 10 easy and quick recipes that not only taste delicious, but will help you stay on track with your health and fitness goals. Make eating healthy FUN AGAIN!
Skinnytaste cookbooks. You can check out her website for great recipe options for all needs. She also has a few cookbooks that I really like. My two favorites are The Skinnytaste Cookbook: Light on Calories, Big on Flavor and One and Done.
Let’s carry onto beauty products.
I have recently started switching out my beauty products for options as “clean” as possible. What I mean by clean is that there aren’t additives that can cause havoc in our bodies.
Beautycounter is a a company devoted to progress. Here you’ll find safer products you can trust. Check out Beautycounter to get safe products like sun screen to make-up to skincare.
I have recently switched my skincare regime to Drunk Elephant. Can I tell you a secret? I am the WORST when it comes to being a “girl.” I actually really love Sephora but that store is also super overwhelming to me! What I like about Drunk Elephant is that it’s pretty easy to follow a skincare regime. You can start with The Littles to see if you like it!
For my #fitfam…
I have joined Team No Plastic, which includes my shaker cups. Most of my Blender Bottles are now stainless steel or glass. They are heavy AF to carry around but I feel better that I am doing everything I can to keep my hormones as they should be.
My favorite workout pants in the whole wide world are Lululemon’s Fast and Free. They come in full length and crop. They are also high rise so they stay up and keep everything in place…if you know what I mean. If you find Lulu a little expensive, then feel free to check out their, We Made Too Much. Quite often the Fast and Frees will be in there. Special mention for the Align and On the Fly pant as well. The On the Fly pant isn’t for working out but for basically everything else!
Lastly, let’s move onto self-care.
One of the best things that people can do for their mind is to start meditating. I was pretty skeptical at first. I am pretty Type A and it seemed a little granola for me. However, it has helped me quiet my mind tremendously! I will be honest, it is practice. Some days I do great and other days my mind is in a million places. I recognize it is practice and helps me take my mind down to just a thousand places. If this sounds like something you could benefit from, my favorite app for meditation is Headspace.
One of my goals is to read from actual books for enjoyment. I consume a lot of content through podcasts, websites and certifications. Not as much for enjoyment. Here are some of the books that I have read lately that I thought you may like:
- Girl Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis: Do you ever suspect that everyone else has life figured out and you don’t have a clue? If so, Rachel Hollis has something to tell you: that’s a lie.
- You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero: You are a badass is the self-help book for people who desperately want to improve their lives but don’t want to get busted doing it.
- Maybe it’s You: Cut the Crap. Face your Fears. Love your Life by Lauren Handel Zander: Maybe It’s You picks up where You Are a Badass leaves off–it’s a no-nonsense, practical manual to help readers figure out not just what they want out of life, but how to actually get there.
- Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday: In an era that glorifies social media, reality TV, and other forms of shameless self-promotion, the battle against ego must be fought on many fronts. Armed with the lessons in this book, as Holiday writes, “you will be less invested in the story you tell about your own specialness, and as a result, you will be liberated to accomplish the world-changing work you’ve set out to achieve.”
- The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown: When our embarrassments and fears lie, we often listen to them anyway. They thwart our gratitude, acceptance, and compassion—our goodness. They insist, “I am not worthy.” But we are worthy—of self-discovery, personal growth, and boundless love.
The last thing I am going to leave you with is investing into yourself. If you are struggling with happiness, your relationship with food or other areas of your life, I highly recommend investing into coaching. Lately I have been hearing people say that they will do it in the new year. I challenge you to get out of the mindset of putting off investing in yourself. Cuz, let’s be honest, will it matter in 2 months how much you spent on your kids when they have moved onto wanting that next toy? What if that is what you asked for as your gift, the gift of coaching? Obviously, I would be honoured for you to choose me as your coach.
I hope you have the best holiday season! Remember, treat yo’self.