I wrote two articles: Creating Clarity and Build Your Plan. If you haven’t read that yet, I would suggest doing the activity I outlined before continuing to read this article. That activity will help you create an idea of where you want to go and options of a road map before starting to think about taking action.
I have received a lot of feedback from those articles. Some people were really excited. Others felt really overwhelmed by it. Either way you reacted is okay. However, please, please, please do not allow the feeling of overwhelm stop you from dreaming. I feel overwhelmed all the time. I refuse to let that stop me from boldly pursuing my dreams. You deserve to dream big. You deserve to be the best version of yourself. You deserve success and happiness. Take some time to figure out why it is overwhelming for you.
Done? Good, let’s get into the meat of creating change. Taking Action.
Three frogs are sitting on a log, one of the thinks about jumping in the water. How many frogs are left on the log?
Did you guess two?
Nope, still three.
Thinking about doing something is not the same and actually doing something. Now that you have put in the time to dream and plan, it’s time to take action.
I’ll be honest, this is something that I struggled with for a long time. I like to plan. I like lists. I am the queen of notebooks and pens and post it notes. I would plan and I would plan and I would plan. Then months later I would look back and still be in the same spot. I am going to share with you some of things that have been helpful for me to take action. Some of these may come across as harsh, but if it triggers something inside…there is probably some truth to it. I am here to help you be the version of yourself you dream about, not to allow you to stay in the same spot.
- Stop telling yourself the same story. I used to tell myself that I wasn’t a morning person. You know what the truth was, I stayed up way too late doing stupid bullshit like watching Netflix which prevented me from getting up. I started going to bed a little bit earlier and I started getting up a little earlier. Was it hard? Absolutely. Let me say it again..a little louder…change is not easy. You have to make a decision between what you want now and what you want most.
- Just start. Do you ever find yourself analyzing things over and over and over, looking for the “perfect” way to do something? Guess what? Perfect doesn’t exist. Life is messy and that is okay. It is okay to take imperfect action. Imperfect actions will take you further than no action.
- Start small. Seriously. What is the smallest step you could take towards your goals? If your goal is weight loss, you do not need to completely overhaul your entire diet today. Rather, could you commit to cooking and eating supper at home instead of getting Skip the Dishes?
- Identify your friction points. Play out the scenario in your mind of how to make the action you want to take as easy as possible. Let me give you an example from my life. I have recently started adding a bit of exercise into my mornings (which is really hard for me). The trouble is that I don’t want to disturb Glenn (my husband) and Betty (our Frenchie Boston Pug) by rooting around in my closet. FRICTION POINT. Let’s also be super honest…I am not going to want to look for workout clothes at 5am. The night before, I lay out my clothes for the next morning in the bathroom so I don’t have to think nor disturb the beauty sleep of Glenn and Betty.
- Ask for help. This could be in a variety of ways. Maybe you actually just need to ask your significant other to give the kids a bath to free up some time and energy for you. Maybe you need to let go of how your significant other cleans the bathroom – even though it’s not perfect. Maybe you need someone to help hold you accountable. Maybe you need someone to help you create your action plan. Whatever it is that you need help with, you need to ask for it. One of the best decisions I have made is hiring a coach to help guide me.
You know I am going to ask, right? What action are you going to take today? Not tomorrow. Not when the stars align. Not when you have the motivation. Today.